Yoga is a scientific exploration that unites the mind body heart and spirit. Hatha yoga is one of the best-known ways to do this as we begin by exploring the movements of the body. As such, it refers to all physical forms of yoga, encompassing sun salutations, dynamic flow, yin yoga and many other types of physical movement. Essentially Hatha Yoga involves movement with awareness through breath, stillness in different poses, intention and affirmations, visualisation, specific life-affirming breathwork (pranayama) and relaxation.
Conscious breathing is the essence of Hatha yoga, it’s the one thing that differentiates yoga from any other form of exercise! It is the focus on the movement of breath that guides the formation of different poses, energising and relaxing the body at the same time!
There are many therapeutic well-documented benefits of Hatha yoga. These include:
• Improves flexibility, mobility and balance
• Strengthens the mind and body, improves emotional stability
• Reduces symptoms of stress, anxiety and depression
• Improves sleep
• Increase in self esteem and confidence
• Inner peace and calm, improved ability to problem solve in difficult situations
• Reduction of chronic pain
• Strengthens each of the major systems in the body such as the digestive system, the immune system and cardiovascular system
• Prepares the body for seated meditation
• And more…
Hatha Yoga in its traditional form can be practiced by most, even if you believe you are physically inflexible!
The adult Hatha Yoga classes are recommended for those over the age of 12. The Chair Yoga classes are recommended for those who cannot sit or lie on the ground.